Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On To Reshma 2012

Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Reshma Saujani: they all lost their first congressional races. Bill Clinton went on to run for Attorney General. Barack Obama went on to run for the US Senate. Reshma Saujani has the comparatively modest goal of running for the same seat again in 2012.

Barack Obama lost to Bobby Rush. That makes Carolyn Maloney the White Panther. Bobby Rush also did the radio debate thing like Carolyn Maloney did. Incumbents love FDR.

Reshma Saujani is the most amazing politician I ever met. That has not changed. She gave just the most amazing speech at the election watch party last night. Here was someone who deeply, deeply cared about her team, and it showed.

There is something about running for the first time. I showed up in America and I ran for Freshman Class President. Everyone else got more votes than me. I was not trounced. I was not even mentioned anywhere. Five months later I had got myself elected student body president. Forget Class President. And this was in the Deep South, Bible Belt, white country.

Corey Booker ran for Mayor. He lost. He ran again. He won by a landslide. Eliot Spitzer ran for Attorney General. He lost. Then he started going all over the state, attending every little political event by every little political club, collecting names and contacts. He ran again. He won by a landslide.


"Today has been the best day of my life," Reshma said. This woman is very much at home on the campaign trail. This is a political animal.

"You are still very much invited to the ANTA Convention as Chief Guest," I said to her. Take 10 days off, and you are right back on the campaign trail. How about that?

Reshma Saujani: My People's Chief Guest

I am going to show up for the ANTA Convention in my Reshma 2010 uniform all over again. The pride will never go away. This is just the beginning. Reshma's best political days lie ahead.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: