Wednesday, November 13, 2019

I Read Don Junior's Book

I picked it up at the library. First, I read a few chapters. Then I borrowed it to read it whole.


I believe in political dialogue. I believe in a positive political culture. You can agree and disagree, but can you be civil about it?

Trump 2016 was a remarkable campaign in that the entire Republican establishment seemed to be opposed to it. It did not have much money. And it barely squeaked by. If Trump 2016 were a tech startup, you would say that was remarkable.

Trump also spoke to the anger of millions who were losing jobs. He did not and does not have the solution, but he sure looked the problem straight in the eye. Andrew Yang has the solution: it's called UBI.

I think Trump secretly is hoping to have a Reagan moment with Hong Kong. But it is not that black and white, not in my opinion.

I do commend him for meeting the North Korean leader.

Being for and against tax cuts is one thing. I welcome policy differences. I welcome debate and discussion. But I have disapproved of Donald Trump's hate speech. His very announcement speech was laced with hate speech. When Trump says he is tired of "political correctness," what he is essentially saying is he wants to be openly racist. I mean, birtherism!? C'mon.

But Trump did win. And the office is what it is. And a son has every right to be a son.

I wanted to get a perspective.

I was glad to note he wrote the book himself. I say, respect. Even Bill Clinton had major editorial help, so even if Don Junior got editorial help, I still say, respect. It is not easy to write a book, any book.

There were times I sympathized. He notes he has the second-highest number of death threats in the country. I think that is unfortunate. That is wrong.

There were times I learned. Maybe I have read too many left-leaning caricature pieces on Don Junior, but I was a little surprised with some of his grasp of politics and policy details. He is pretty thorough even when he is as conspiracy theorizing as he accuses "the leftists" of being.

Polarization has become the new normal in American politics. And it shows.

It's funny how Junior talks of the "Democrat Party," not the Democratic Party. I first noted Jared Kushner use the term. And that was in 2016. It is meant to be a slur.

Will Trump get impeached? Or will he win a second term? I don't know. We don't know. But here's a son rooting for his father to have a second term. Love is allowed. The political process will take its course.

I am still reading it. Just wanted to take a break and briefly blog about it.

Hello, Don.

There's one point where he talks of an "AOC administration." Looks like Don Junior and I have found some common ground.

This book is worth reading. It gives you perspective.

One story I read early in 2017 in some magazine about Donald Trump (the president) was, so his father takes a young Donald Trump on one of his rent collection tours. The father knocks on one door and steps to the side. The son asks, why did you do that? The father says, "Sometimes they shoot!"

Donald Trump is a Queens guy. Like how Israelis like to say they live in a "tough neighborhood." When the world sees an out of control Donald Trump, his children see a "counterpuncher." The Manhattan real estate establishment never digested the upstart from Queens. They still hadn't in 2016.

While Donald Trump, in the autumn of his life, is still trying to digest the world.





No comments: